Four year old Shiloh Oppong-Konadu proved to be a lifesaver when he noticed his two year old sister Bella was choking on a two pence piece. Shiloh had attended a Mini First Aid Kid's class so he quickly recognised what was happening to Bella. He knew he needed to get adult help as soon as possible to administer back blows.
In his own words, Shiloh talks about what happened:
“I shouted to my Daddy because Bella was choking. I patted her on the back because I wanted her to be OK and I remembered it from my Mini First Aid class. I was scared but me and my Daddy saved Bella. Everyone is so proud of me.”
Shiloh had recently attended the Mini First Aid ‘Early Years’ classes, including the ‘Sit Chop Chew’ class, based on the theme of safe eating and what to do if someone is choking. Shiloh attended the classes at his local preschool, Cottontails, in Girton, Cambridgeshire.
Shiloh’s Mum, Jemma Oppong-Konadu was extremely relieved her son acted so quickly. She talks about how proud she is:
“Thanks to Shiloh’s attendance at a Mini First Aid class, he was able to do the most important thing and alert an adult. He was even trying to perform back blows himself to dislodge the coin. Thankfully, my husband was able to perform the back blows and the coin moved down to clear my daughter’s airway. The class really helped him understand what was happening. We’re so super proud of him!”
It just goes to show you can learn life-saving first aid skills at any age! Well done Shiloh!
To find out more or book onto a Mini First Aid Kids or Early Years class in your area CLICK HERE